Recipes: Main Dishes. No.3 of 12 - Smoked Haddock & Spinach
By Paul Curran
Christmas Recipe Serves: 8
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
Calories per serving: 605
Suitable for freezing (after step 4)
Christmas Recipe Ingredients:
- Breadcrumbs, fresh 75 g (3 oz)
- Semi-skimmed milk, 150 ml (5 fl oz)
- Haddock, smoked or fresh 250 g (9 oz)
- Potatoes, 250 g (9 oz)
- salt and pepper
- Spinach, washed 225 g (8 oz)
- Egg, 1 beaten
- Lemon wedges
- Cream, fresh half-fat 400 ml (12 fl oz)
- Lemon, juice and rind from 1
- Chives, fresh chopped 60 ml (4 tbsp)
- Garnish: Fried garlic slices, fresh basil leaves
Christmas Recipe Instructions:
- Simmer the fish and milk for about 10 minutes. Separate the fish
flesh from the bones and skin. Keep the milk. Make some lightly
- Boil even sized peeled potatoes in salted water for about 15
minutes or until soft. Drain and dry at a low heat for a few minutes
before mashing with the kept milk.
- Remove the liquid from briefly cooked spinach (2 to 3 minutes),
cut up and combine with the fish and potato. Add salt and pepper to
- Make eight fishcakes with the mixture, brush with beaten egg and
coat with the previously prepared breadcrumbs.
- Cook the fishcakes for 20 to 25 minutes at 200
(400 F) until hot in the middle.
- For the sauce combine the cream and lemon rind, heating softly.
Add salt and pepper, chives and lemon juice.
- To present: Pour the sauce over the fish. Add lemon wedges and
garnish with chives.