Christmas Recipes: Garlic Poussins and Kumquats
By Paul Curran
Christmas recipe Serves: 6
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour
Calories per serving: 580
Not suitable for freezing
Christmas recipe ingredients:
- poussins, 3, about 700 g (1.5 lb) each
- salt and pepper
- kumquats, 225 g (8 oz)
- garlic cloves, 16
- olive oil, 30 ml (2 tbsp)
- unsalted butter, 25 g (1 oz)
- bay leaves, 2
- dry cider, 450 ml (15 fl oz)
- apple juice, 200 ml (7 fl oz)
- double cream, 200 ml (7 fl oz)
- garnish, thyme sprigs
Christmas recipe instructions:
- Cook the unpeeled garlic cloves in salted boiling water for about
5 minutes. Then cool and peel. Cut the kumquats in half. Split the
poussins in half along the breast bone, having removed the backbone.
Use about 10 ml (2 tsp) of salt to cover the skin side.
- Cook the poussin pieces skin side down in hot butter until golden
brown. Take out of the pan and replace with the garlic and kumquats,
cooking in the hot pan until a golden color. Put the poussins back,
add bay leaves and cover.
- Now cook the poussins fully at gas mark 6 (200 degrees centigrade,
400 F) for about 35 minutes. Take everything out of the dish except
6 cloves, cover and keep warm.
- Make a paste by crushing the remaining garlic and add apple juice
and cider. Heat to boiling and continue till syrup like.
- Add the cream and season with salt and pepper. Heat to boiling
again and simmer for about a minute. Put the food back that you
removed in step 3 and cook for about two ot three minutes.
- Garnish with thyme sprigs and serve.