Recipes: Chocolate & Orange Cake
Christmas recipe serves: 16
calories per serving: 495
preparation time: 25 minutes
cooking time: 1 hour 40 minutes
Suitable for freezing after step 5
Christmas recipe ingredients:
- oil for greasing
- white chocolate, 125 g (4 oz)
- milk chocolate, 125 g (4 oz)
- plain chocolate, 375 g (13 oz)
- softened butter, 175 g (6 oz)
- caster sugar, 175 g (6 oz)
- ground almonds, 175 g (6 oz)
- eggs, 6 separated
- breadcrumbs, fresh brown 75 g (3 oz)
- cocoa powder, 45 ml (3 tbsp)
- orange, grated rind & juice from 1
- salt, pinch
- double cream, 150 ml (5 fl oz)
Christmas recipe instructions:
- Chop the milk and white chocolate into unequal pieces. Take an 8
inch (20.5 cm) diameter cake tin and grease and line.
- Melt plain chocolate (225 g, 8 oz) over hot water and allow to
cool for a bit.
- Mix the sugar and butter until airy and add the orange rind,
orange juice, cocoa powder, breadcrumbs, egg yolks, ground almonds
and the melted chocolate.
- Make soft peaks with the salt and egg whites and blend a quarter
into the mixture from step 3. Mix what is left with the chopped
chocolate from step 1.
- Place into the cake tin and bake at gas mark 4 (180 degrees
centigrade, 350 F) for 1 hour 40 minutes. Allow to cool for about
quarter of an hour before placing onto a wire rack.
- Melt the remaining plain chocolate (150 g, 5 oz) with the cream
over a bowl of hot water and allow to thicken slightly. Cover the
cake with this mixture, cool and store.
(c) Paul Curran, CEO of Cuzcom Internet Publishing Group