Leftover Turkey Recipes: 5 Delicious Ways to
Make the Most of Your Festive Bird
By Elizabeth Martyn
Roast turkey is a great family favorite, especially at
Thanksgiving and Christmas. But after the feast, comes the question
– how to use the leftovers? Here are five ways to make the most of
your festive bird.
- Leftover turkey sandwich recipes
Use thick slices of turkey breast and add a little of the dark
meat for flavor. Use different breads, like ciabatta rolls,
baguettes, whole meal bread, or toasted white bread. Add other
ingredients, such as:
- salad leaves like lettuce or spinach
- sliced avocado
- cherry tomatoes or thinly sliced beetroot
- wafer-thin cooked ham
- crumbled crispy bacon
- sliced hard-boiled egg
- soft cheeses, like Brie or Camembert
- mustard, cranberry sauce, leftover turkey stuffing, pickles,
mayonnaise, sliced gherkins, or radishes.
- Leftover turkey salad recipes
Use both white and dark meat. Cube or shred the leftover turkey.
- Toss with toasted almonds, thin slices of fresh mango and
soft salad leaves. Dress with a light vinaigrette.
- Mix with cubed avocado, slivered yellow and red pepper,
sweet corn and halved cherry tomatoes. Dress with olive oil,
whisked with lime juice and chili.
- Stir shredded turkey breast meat through cooled cooked thin
rice noodles. Add shredded lettuce, matchstick slices of
carrot and cucumber, and dress with a well-blended mixture of
2 parts light soy sauce to 1 part sweet chili sauce.
- Leftover turkey soup recipes
- Add diced turkey to a basic vegetable soup recipe. Try it
with celery and apple, in a chowder with sweet corn, or as part
of a spicy oriental soup, with noodles and shredded leaves.
- Liven up turkey soup with herbs and spices. Try thyme and
oregano, ground coriander, smoked paprika.
- Leftover turkey and pasta recipes
- Mix diced turkey into tomato and sweet pepper sauce and
serve with rice or pasta.
- Stir pesto through chopped leftover turkey for an instant
- Leftover turkey curry recipes
- Turkey makes a great curry. Soften a chopped onion, add
cubed turkey and curry paste. Cook for a few minutes, add
stock. Stir well, simmer until turkey is heated through.
Serve with rice and naan bread.
- Cook as above, but try red or green Thai curry paste, and
use liquid made with creamed coconut grated into boiling
water, or use canned coconut milk.
If you have more leftover turkey than you can use straight away,
carve off slices on the same day that the turkey was cooked,
interleave with cling wrap, overwrap with foil, pack in airtight
plastic bags, and freeze. Keeps well in the freezer for 2-3 months.